Enhance Curb Appeal
Curb Appeal Tips
- Plant flowers and mow the lawn.
- Wash windows.
- Stain or repaint the front porch.
- Paint the front door a welcoming color.
- Hang attractive-looking house numbers that are clear enough to see from the road.
- Trim trees and shrubs.
- Set up furniture and decor on the front porch to help buyers imagine themselves sitting there.
- Power wash the house, sidewalks, and driveway.
- Put down a new, welcoming doormat.
Calm Kitchen Chaos
Kitchen Staging Tips
- Keep counters clear excapt for a few decorative items such as candles, a cookbook, a bowl of fruit, or a vase of flowers.
- Style your kitchen or dining room table by setting the table to help buyers imagine themselves eating there.
- Update your appliances if needed.
- Paint cabinets, or for a less expensive update to cabinets, simple replace the hardware.
- Remove magnets from the refrigerator.
- Clean out the pantry and discard expired items.
- Replace your sink hardware for something more stylish.
- Give the whole kitchen a deep clean.
Create an Inviting Living Room
Living Room Staging Tips
- Aim for symmetry with furniture arrangements, as it's more appealing to the eye than a haphazard cluster of couches and chairs.
- Vacuum your furniture and replace any pillows or cushions that are torn or worn out.
- Consider purchasing stylish laps if your living room needs more light.
- Style the coffee table with magazines, books, fresh flowers, or a few small candles.
- Keep your decor simple and not too personal. Family pictures are not advised, but neutral artwork and decor that matches the theme of the living room adds just the right amount of personality.
- If your walls are a bright shade, consider painting them a calming, neutral color.
- Vacuum and steam clean carpeting.
- Replace or repair window treatments if necessary.
- Add a folded throw blanket to the back of a couch or on an armrest for a comfortable, lived-in look.
- If you have a fireplace, consider starting a fire if your house is being shown in the winter.
- If your house is being shown in the summer, open the windows and let light and fresh air in.
Make the Bedrooms Feel Serene
Bedroom Staging Tips
- Keep bedrooms clutter-free by cleaning up toys and personal items.
- Remove some of your clothes from the closets to make the space appear larger.
- Keep the master bedroom decor gender neutral.
- If you decide to repaint any bedrooms, keep the colors calm and neutral.
- Dust and clean bedrooms from top to bottom.
- If you have a spare bedroom that is unused, try adding a desk and chair to show it can be used as an office.
- Remove televisions, gaming consoles, laptops, and phone charging cords to help bedrooms feel serene.
Optimize the Bathroom
Bathroom Staging Tips
- Give all surfaces a thorough cleaning.
- Fix any toilets, faucets, fans, or shower heads that may need repairs.
- Consider replacing hardware such as drawer pulls, light fixtures, door knobs, shower heads, or faucets for an updated look.
- Remove clutter and personal products.
- Add a clean bath mat to make the space appear welcoming.
- Display clean, fluffy towels and soap for a luxurious look.
- If you have a large vanity and a small bathroom, consider replacing the vanity with a pedestal sink to make the space seem bigger.
Focus on Details Around the House
General Home Staging Tips
- Organize and declutter around the house. Move things into storage if you need to.
- Try to keep the basement and closets as empty as possible, as this enhances the appearance of storage space.
- Do a deep clean of the entire house, or hire a professional cleaning service.
- Consider replacing flooring that is damaged and have carpets steam cleaned.
- Hanging mirrors in small or bare spaces helps them appear larger.
- Patch and paint and holes in walls.
- Wash all windows and repair the screens if needed.
- Try not to leave empty space on walls.
- Make sure door knobs, outlet covers, and switch plates match and are clean.
- Consider buying plug-in air fresheners to give your home a welcoming aroma.