Communication skills are the difference between a good agent and a great agent. Below are seven simple tips to improve your communication skills as a commercial real estate agent.
- It's absolutely vital to keep in touch with sellers and let them know how you're advertising their property. Keeping sellers updated on the listing and selling process can make all the difference in their experience with you as an agent.
- If you're running an ad on a client's property, be sure to tell them when you're running the ad, send them a copy of it once it is live, and be sure to follow up and let them know how the ad did about a week or so after it ran.
- If you show a client's property, be sure to give feedback on how the showings went, what prospective buyers thought of the property as well as current market conditions.
- Set aside time every single week to get in touch with sellers and discuss their property and anything relevant to it selling.
- Tell your clients about which websites you use to list their property, send them links, and tell them which MLS systems you're using, how many calls you've had on their property, and any other relevant data pertaining to their listing.
- The golden rule is to be honest with your clients. If their property needs updates in order to sell, let them know! Your honesty will be more beneficial in the end, because it could result in the sale of their property.
- Even if your client's listing expires, continually keeping in touch with them will increase the likelihood that the listing will be extended. If the listing ends up going to another firm, your client is still more likely to respect you as an agent if your communication skills are top-notch.