- Average downpayment amount
- Average downpayment percent
- Share of buyers using an FHA mortgage
- Average FHA downpayment as an average downpayment for all loans
- Percentage of homebuyers who have credit scores below 680
- The Housing Opportunity Index score for the area
- Several downpayment variables were included in LendingTree's ranking because the website claimed that "research has identified down payments as the biggest obstacles to homeownership."
Pittsburgh and Cleveland tied for first place as the best cities for first-time homebuyers because while these metros may not have the lowest credit score requirements or down payments in the country, they consistently ranked highly across all six metrics that were considered in the study.
Pittsburgh's stats were listed as follows:
- Average down payment amount: 34,049
- Average down payment percentage: 15%
- Share of buyers using an FHA mortgage: 36.5%
- Average FHA down payment as a percentage of average down payment for all loans 31.2%
- Percentage of buyers who have credit scores below 680: 41.3%
- HOI Index Score:78.4
LendingTree also noted that along with a tight inventory raising prices in many markets, "first-time homebuyers now have to contend with rising mortgage interest rates reducing their buying power." The website stated that borrowers should consider all the programs available to assist them in becoming homeowners, including FHA loans, as affordability declines.
To find out the rest of the top ten best and worst metros for first-time homebuyers, check out LendingTree's article here.
If you're looking to purchase a home in or around the Pittsburgh area, please contact us. We would love to help you with your real estate needs!